The Columbia Gorge Discovery Center is prominently marked from the east bound lane on I-84, exit 82. From the stop sign on the exit ramp, turn right and follow the signs to the Discovery Center. The trail starts near the entrance to the Discovery Center parking lot. Look for the dogie bags and the small multi-use trail sign.
The trail is 7 miles long starting at The Discovery Center to 4,000 feet east of Riverside Park. The trail is not marked but is easy to follow if you watch for the turns on River Road and W 1st Street. There are no start, end or turn signs. Most of the trail is asphalt multi-use except for 2 miles on quiet city streets.
- The trail turns left onto Klindt Drive about 3.5 miles from the Discovery Center.
- Klindt Drive ends in 0.1 miles with a T-intersection and the route turns left onto River Road.
- The trail jogs left around several industrial sites and the Windseeker restaurant. The jog is easy to miss but it is not a critical turn. Zoom-in and study the map if you want to include the Windseeker jog.
- The route turns left onto W 1st Street about 4.4 miles from the start. The UPS freight center is on the left and the Tri-County detention center is on the right.
- The trail veers left to follow the waterfront 5.5 miles from the start where the freeway overpass has a "The Dalles" facade. This is the only direct access from the trail to downtown The Dalles.
- About 6 miles from the start, the trail crosses the Marina, past the restrooms to Riverside Park where there is a swim beach, picnic area, street hockey, biker napping area and shade. The trail continues for about 4,000 feet past the hockey rink where the asphalt terminates in gravel and quickly turns to sand.
Some land marks are also noted in the slide show and photo album linked below. The photo album also has a map that shows you where the pictures were taken on the trail.
View The Dalles Waterfront Trail in a larger map