Start Time: 07:00
Lunar Phase: Waxing Gibbous, nearly full moon
Start/End Location: Sunset Motel, Hood River, Oregon
Distance: 405km (251.8 miles)
Elevation Gain: 12,700 ft
Route Sheet: Follow the link to the Google spreadsheet.
Lodging can be a problem in this area because of the popularity of the area for wind surfing and other outdoor activities. Riders wanting to stay in Hood River or the surrounding area are advised to make reservations well in advance! A list of lodging and camping areas can be found here.
This is a beautiful route that covers much of the scenic Mid Columbia between Hood River Oregon and Goldendale Washington. The route has moderate elevation gain for this area and provides 24 hour commercial services for late night controls. All of the route is within 50 miles of the start location. Since there will be a nearly full moon, riders will be able to experience the scenic Columbia River Gorge and the hills east of The Dalles in the moonlight.
- A ride through the orchards and old growth forests to Lost Lake.
- The historic Twin Tunnels State Park (a.k.a Mark O. Hatfield trail).
- A ride to the top of Seven Mile Hill looking down on city of The Dalles.
- The Columbia River Gorge between Bingen and Mary Hill Museum.
- Views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams.
- Rollers through High Prairie and down the Centerville hill to Lyle Washington.
- The wheat fields and hills east of The Dalles near the Oregon Trail.
- The scenic Columbia River Highway between The Dalles and Hood River.